JTIE 2014, 6(1):4-18 | 10.5507/jtie.2014.001
USING ICT IN EDUCATION OF PRESCHOOL CHILDREN
- Department of Informatics and, Computers, Faculty of Science, University of Ostrava 30. dubna 22, 701 03 Ostrava
Digital technologies have become a regular part of lives of even preschool children. They can primarily come across them in their families, but they can also play an important role in education. To integrate a computer successfully into preschool education requires suitable engagement of pedagogues who are computer literate and who then become familiar with suitable educational programs and change their existing methods of work. Nursery schools in the Moravian-Silesian region have already been equipped with computers and research has shown that they are used in educating children. The pedagogues could have improved their knowledge and skills by taking part in courses focused on using information technologies in education of preschool children. Information technologies represent another method of children education. They primarily help children develop individually and they can be beneficial when education children with specific educational needs. When using computers, possible risks and negative effects have to be considered as well.
Keywords: preschool education, information technologies, educational program, pedagogical worker
Published: April 1, 2014
- ARONIN, Sara and Kim K. FLOYD. Using an iPad in Inclusive Preschool Classrooms to Introduce STEM Concepts. Teaching Exceptional Children. 2013, Volume 45, Number 4, pp. 34-39. Go to original source...
- Documents on preschool education. [on-line]. Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, 15.02.2005, MEYS. [Cit. 2014-01-23]. Available at: http://www.msmt.cz/vzdelavani/predskolni-vzdelavani/dokumenty-1.
- Effective Classroom Practice: Preschoolers and Kindergarteners. [online]. Technology and Young Children. National Association for the Education of Young Children - Promoting excellence in early childhood education, 2012. [Cit. 2014-02-25]. Available at: http://www.naeyc.org/content/technology-and-youngchildren/preschoolers-andkindergartners.
- GULAY, Hulya. The evaluation of the relationship between the computer using habits and prosocial and aggressive behaviours of 5-6 years old children. International Journal of Academic Research. March 2011, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp. 252-257.
- HOWARD, Justine, Gareth E. MILES and Laura REES-DAVIES. Computer use within a play-based early years curriculum. International Journal of Early Years Education. 2012, Volume 20, Issue 2, pp. 175-189. Go to original source...
- KOCOUREK, Jiří. Zvyšování počítačové gramotnosti dětí díky projektu IBM KidSmart. [online]. 3.11.2008, 06:15. ITBIZ. Argonit. ISSN 1802-1581. [Cit. 2014-0218]. Available at: http://www.itbiz.cz/ibm-projektkidsmart#.
- KOL, Suat. Evaluating the Opinions of the Preschool Teachers on Computer Assisted Education. Educational Sciences: Theory and Practice. 2012, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 897-903.
- MOHAMMAD, Mona and HEYAM Mohammad. Computer integration into the early childhood curriculum. Education. 2012, Volume 133, No. 1, pp. 97-116.
- PARETTE, Howard P., Jack J. HOURCADE, Craig BLUM, Emily H. WATTS, Julia B. STONER, Brian W. WOJCIK and Shannon B. CHRISMORE. Technology User Groups and Early Childhood Education: A Preliminary Study. Early Childhood Education Journal. May 2013, Volume 41, Issue 3, pp. 171- 179. Go to original source...
- Preschool Education in the CR. [online]. Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports. © 2013 - 2014, MEYS. [Cit. 2014-03-01]. Available at: http://www.msmt.cz/areas-ofwork/preschool-education.
- RIDEOUT, Victoria et al. Zero to Eight: Children's Media Use in America 2013. [online]. Common Sense Media, 2013. [Cit. 2014-0224]. Available at: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/research/zero-to-eight-childrensmedia-use-in-america-2013.
- Technology and Interactive Media as Tools in Early Childhood Programs Serving Children from Birth through Age 8. [online]. Technology and Young Children. National Association for the Education of Young Children - Promoting excellence in early childhood education, 2012. [Cit. 2014-02-18]. Available at: http://www.naeyc.org/content/technology-and-young-children.
- ZOKIM. Zvyšování odborných kompetencí pracovníků škol a školských zařízení v MSK v oblasti matematiky, VT a využívání ICT ve školách. [online]. ESF Education for Competitiveness Operational Programme. University of Ostrava., 2012. [Cit. 2014-04-15]. Available at: http://projekty.osu.cz/zokim.